Ep #33: How to Create a Happier Work Environment by Fostering Better Relationships
There’s definitely something to be said for a harmonious workplace, especially because it affects not only work life, but our personal life as well. Scientific studies have found that the relationships we have with people, including our coworkers and bosses, have a direct effect on our happiness. It’s even been found that those who have a poor relationship with their boss have a 30% increased risk of suffering from coronary heart disease. All of this goes to say, putting more effort into your work relationships will surely be a game changer for you.
In The Happiness Advantage, Shawn Achor explores the importance of setting up clear expectations and consequences in order to make things easier for you and your employees. He also outlines what gets in the way of creating strong relationships at work and why that can be harmful to our mindset and work ethic.
By purposefully working on your relationship with the people you work with, even in small ways, it’s possible to become more motivated and invested in the success of your work. Simple but genuine interactions are enough to lead to more openness and authenticity in the workplace.
Listen To The Episode Here:
In Today’s Episode, You’ll Learn:
- How the imaginary instruction manual we have for our coworkers can negatively affect our ability to succeed and thrive.
- Why it’s important to set clear expectations and consequences.
- How to enforce your expectations in a consistent way that is not mood- or feelings-based.
- Why your reaction and interaction with others can have a huge effect on your day.
- Simple ways to genuinely interact with coworkers that can lead to more happiness and success in the workplace.
- How to start working on your expectations and manual for your employees.
Featured In This Episode:
- Ep #31: Navigating Personal Relationships
- The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
- Interested in working with me? If you’re a practicing MD/DO physician, click here to sign up for the group coaching interest list. Then be sure to check your email to confirm that you want to opt-in!
- Sign up for my email list!